Fiancé Visas

The fiancé visa (K-1) permits a U.S. citizen to bring a foreign national fiancé to the U.S. to marry. Once married, the foreign national may apply for lawful permanent residence (green card).

Best If You Want to Avoid a Long Separation

When the most important thing is for a couple to be together as quickly as possible, then the fiancé visa usually delivers. The average processing time (and thus, a good estimate of the period of separation from each other) is 6-8 months, the period from application to admission to the U.S.

Petition, Visa Processing, then Permanent Residence

A fiance visa application is really three steps: an initial petition filed and approved in the U.S., visa processing after approval that occurs in the fiancé’s home country and finally, permanent residence applications filed after the fiancé enters the U.S. in nonimmigrant fiancé visa status (K-1) and marries the U.S. Citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry.

After we are married, can we leave the United States for our honeymoon?

K Visas permit only a single entry. If you are planning on honeymooning abroad your fiancé must have an Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit before leaving the U.S. This permit typically takes about 60 days to obtain after submission.

Can my fiancé’s children qualify for a K visa?

Yes, USCIS permits children of K visa holders to enter the U.S. with the parent if they’re properly processed and qualified.

Do I need an immigration attorney?

Some people successfully complete fiancé visa processing on their own. You hire a lawyer to assist you with a fiancé visa for one of three reasons:

  • You want the benefit of an experienced immigration lawyer because you fear that you may create unnecessary delays in processing;
  • You don’t want to deal with the headache or time commitment involved with navigating an immigration process that’s second nature to a seasoned immigration attorney and her staff; or
  • You have a problem with your case that creates inadmissibility or a bar on your fiancé’s admission to the U.S.

Working with Poarch Law on Fiance Visas

Poarch Law provides counsel throughout the fiancé(e) visa process from start to finish to help ensure it is as seamless as possible. We often talk online or in person to both parties about filing and interview requirements and we prepare a compelling application detailing all the necessary requirements for approval. Finally, when it’s time for the initial interview at the U.S. Embassy abroad, we can walk you through the questions you’ll likely be asked and the required documentation needed. These cases are all handled on a reasonable, flat-fee basis, excluding expenses and filing fees. Poarch Law consults on these cases nationally. Contact us now to arrange a consultation online, over the phone, or in person.