Religious Worker Visas

An R-1 is a foreign national who is coming to the United States temporarily to be employed as a minister or in another religious vocation or occupation at least part-time (average of at least 20 hours per week) by:

  • A nonprofit religious organization in the U.S.;
  • A religious organization that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or
  • A nonprofit religious organization which is affiliated with a religious denomination in the U.S.
  • This visa program is intended for religious workers whose lives are dedicated to religious practices and functions, as distinguished from secular members of the religion.

To qualify, the foreign national must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide, nonprofit religious organization in the U.S. for at least two years immediately before the filing of the petition.

Do I need an attorney to assist with procuring a religious worker visa?

Because the eligibility requirements for religious workers demand substantial evidence of a variety of factors, most churches or other religious organizations find it useful to work with an attorney in the preparation and submission of materials in this visa category.

Working with Poarch Law on Religious Worker Visas

Poarch Law works closely with non-profit religious organizations and religious foreign nationals to obtain a religious worker (R-1) visa.  Poarch Law consults on religious worker visas nationally, and engages in a thorough review of the case before committing valuable church resources to pursuing this visa category. Representation typically involves a flat fee.  Call us today to schedule a consultation.